Berkshire Renewable Energy
Solar and Wind at Berkshire East
Powered by a 500 kWh solar facility and a 900 kWh wind turbine, Berkshire East is the only ski area in the world to generate 100% of our electricity from onsite renewable energy.
Wind Turbine Facts
- The turbine was built in the fall of 2010 and commissioned in January 2011
- The wind turbine is 277 feet tall
- The turbine is remotely monitored, 24 hours a day, and it is possible to control the turbine from a smart phone
- Each blade is 91 feet long, there are three of them
- The center of the hub, is about 195 feet in the air
- The blades spin at 27 rpm, at maximum
- The turbines operating efficiency has improved each year that we have operated the turbine, these increases come from improvements to the operating software
Solar Field Facts
- There are 1800 panels in a 10 acre field
- Each panel is in a group of 24 on a pole that make up 1 All Sun Renewable Solar Tracker
- There are 90 Solar Trackers that follow the sun from sunup to sundown
- Our solar trackers produce 35%-45% more electricity than a fixed panel and provide enough sunlight to sustain an oxygen producing flora and sustain necessary vegetation for wildlife.
Why Renewable Energy at Berkshire East
Why power a ski area with renewable energy? It’s a way to stabilize our electrical expense for the next 30 years. In 5 years we have seen an ROI based on the concept of avoided cost. By stabilizing our expenses, we can provide our guests a better on-hill experience by spending money on the fun stuff like more snow making, mountain bike trails, rafting, mountain coasters and not the power company.
Interested in visiting our wind turbine and solar field?
Wind Turbine and Solar Field Tour
Our Wind Turbine and Solar Field Tour includes a visit to our wind turbine site and our 10 acre solar field where your guide will provide you with detailed information, a discussion and answer any questions about our wind turbine, solar field and other questions regarding our sustainable energy practices. The Wind Turbine and Solar Field Tour includes some moderate hiking of approximately 1.5 mile to and from the sites. Transportation to the top of the mountain and down will be via chairlift and/or shuttle van. The Wind Turbine and Solar Field Tour lasts approximately 2 ½ hours. You must be at least age 8 to take this tour.
Cost is $20 per person and reservations are required. Full payment is expected at the time you reserve. Participants will be required to sign an Event Waiver when checking in. A parent or guardian will need to sign for participants under the age of 18.
Larger school groups or organizations can call us to arrange for the Wind Turbine and Solar Field Tour by calling us at 413-339-6617 ext. 330.