Thunder Mountain Gravity Team
Youth Eastern States Cup Travel Team
The Thunder Mountain Gravity Team is a competitive mountain bike program for young athletes ages 10-16. With a general focus on gravity riding, this program will train athletes for enduro and downhill racing on Eastern States Cup tracks. Head coach Gordon Goss, who finished 9th overall in the pro enduro last year, will run weekly practices at Thunder and travel to races with the team. Gordon will teach athletes everything from mountain bike fundamentals, high speed cornering, jumping, drops, line choice, race tactics and more. Join us for our inaugural season of racing with the Thunder Mountain Gravity Team!
Weekly practices will be held at Thunder Mountain Bike Park. Athletes will ride with coaches and their team members, focusing on a combination of drills, freeriding and timed practice runs. Although we will target race specific training, the overarching goal of the program is two fold. One, we want young athletes to progress their riding by developing sound fundamentals. Two, we want kids to simply love mountain biking and racing. Not only will the program challenge your child, it will put them in a social environment that could lead to lifelong outdoor friendships.
Team members are expected to make 80% or more of the practices at Thunder. Although there is not a requirement to do every race, we hope that your child can attend two or more of the ESC race weekends during the summer. Practices will always be held on Thursdays at Thunder Mountain Bike Park. We will host an additional practice on Fridays on non-race weekends. At races, our head coach, Gordon will assist athletes with Saturday course walk throughs and practice runs. This will give the team an opportunity to plan their lines and get their bikes dialed under the supervision of a coach. Whether your child is racing enduro or downhill, race day is always Sunday. Athletes will be on their own on Sundays. We ask that parents provide supervision on Sundays, as our coach/coaches will be racing themselves.
About the Coach
Gordon Goss is excited to help athletes looking for a competitive edge to improve their skills and speed on the trail this summer. Gordon started riding at his home mountain of Mt Snow, VT in 1999, which progressed into racing DH a few years later. A lifelong outdoor enthusiast, he has worked at bike parks and ski areas, led youth conservation crews, and camped out across the country in search of new trails. This summer he is looking to repeat his top ten overall finish in the pro enduro class. As Head Coach, Gordon will use his years of experience as a rider, racer, crew leader, and mechanic to help athletes find their own success and enjoy the thrill of racing.
- Athletes must have prior mountain biking experience and be able to ride black diamond trails at Thunder or a comparable bike park.
- Families must provide their children with pads, a full face helmet and a full suspension bike with disc brakes.
- Parents must be willing to transport their children to races or carpool with other families. Parents are responsible for providing lodging or camping for their kids at races and must be able to cover registration fees and other costs associated with racing.
What Is Included?
- Nine Thursday practices
- Five Friday practices
- Four Saturday coaching sessions at races
- A team uniform from Fox
- 50% off bike shop labor for team members. *Some exclusions apply
- 30% off parts and retail items at the Thunder bike shop
What is Not Included?
- Bikes and equipment
- Lift tickets
- Meals at practices and races
- Transportation and lodging
- Race registration
Thunder Mountain Gravity Team
Details & Dates
Thunder Mountain Gravity Team (Summer Session)
- Ages 10-16
- June 30th - August 28th
- $1,500 enrollment
- Practice at Thunder one to two days per week plus four race weekends
- Head Coach Gordon Goss
Eastern States Cup Races
- July 10th - Jiminy Peak, MA
- July 24th - Sugarbush, VT
- August 7th - Killington, VT
- August 28th - Blue Mountain, PA
Practice Schedule at Thunder (9:30 AM - 4:00 PM)
- 6/30, 7/1
- 7/14, 7/15
- 7/28, 7/29
- 8/11, 8/12
- 8/18, 8/19
- Is the program right for my child if they have never raced mountain bikes before?
Prior racing experience certainly will help, however it is not required. If your child is a proficient mountain biker, this is a great opportunity for them to get into racing at a young age. If your child is looking for something less competitive, check out our Thunder Mountain Development program.
- I am a parent and I don’t ride mountain bikes. I am worried about supporting my child at races.
Most race venues are easily hikable. We also encourage experienced race families to help less experienced parents at races.
- I am worried my child’s bike isn’t suitable for racing.
Old or under-maintained mountain bikes pose a big safety risk for racing. Parents must provide their children with a suitable full suspension bike. Ask your local shop for help, or come into the service shop at Thunder to ask questions.
- Do I have to accompany my child at races?
No, however Thunder Mountain Bike Park is not responsible for athletes outside of practice times. You may coordinate with other parents for supervision at races.
- Does the Thunder Mountain Gravity Team only attend Eastern States Cup Races?
Athletes may enter any race they like wearing their TMGT jersey, however we only provide coaching at ESC races.
- What is the Eastern States Cup?
The ESC is a race series based in the Northeast that hosts a variety of mountain bike races, most popular being Enduro and Downhill.
- Does the Thunder Mountain Gravity Team race cross country?
- Should I tip my child's coach?
If you feel like your child's coach did an exceptional job, it is appropriate to tip them at the end of the season.