What should I wear on the river?
We strongly advise against cotton clothing on the river. Cotton does not wick water from your body and tends to be uncomfortable when wet.
Any non-cotton clothing such as polypropylene, wool, spandex, neoprene, or poly-blends make for comfortable clothing during your river trip.
We have a wide range of wetsuit sizes for rent, which are cleaned after every use.
- Footwear is a must, there is some light walking involved to access the river put-ins, lunch sites, and take-outs. We advise against flip-flops, however, fully strapped sandals, an old pair of sneakers, or water shoes are all a great choice!
Above 70 degrees
Swimwear is great, we advise wearing thin layers that protect against the sun. Women find it particularly comfortable to wear athletic shorts over swimwear.
Below 70 degrees or raining
- A lightweight shell will block the wind and repel rain, they are also great at holding in body heat.
- The same goes for rain pants.
- Wool, Merino, or comparable non-cotton socks are ideal. In Spring, these make for great base layers under our wetsuit booties.
- A hat or visor under your helmet will also help keep the sun or rain off your face
What happens if there is inclement weather for my river trip?
Please note that we do not cancel trips for rain or other inclement weather. We run our trips rain or shine, regardless of the temperatures, so come prepared with rain gear and warm clothes, if rain or cold temperatures are forecast.
What happens if there is thunder & lightning?
Before a river trip
Your trip leader may choose to delay the start of a trip until a storm passes.
It is our policy to stay on the river until the storm enters the river canyon. We follow an industry standard rule of a ten (10) second flash to boom ratio.
- We try to keep moving down river until we reach a point where we can easily reach the road from the river canyon and allow for a safe evacuation from the river and onto transport vehicles.
How can I book a trip?
Reservations may be made in one of three ways:
- Book now, using our online reservation system.
- Over the Phone 413.339.6618 ext. 2.
- On-site as a walk-in customer.
If you want to raft that day, we will do our best to accommodate you, however, we cannot always guarantee you a spot if you want to go the same day. Reservations are strongly suggested. Phone reservations can be made with a customer service representative at 413.339.6618 during normal business hours. Online reservations may be made at any time. Full payment is expected up-front when you make your reservation.
May I buy a Gift Certificate?
Sure can! Gift certificates must be purchased online here.
Do all participants need to sign a waiver?
A waiver form is required from all participants. The waiver is sent electronically during the booking process. Those under the age of 18 will need to have their parent or guardian complete the digital waiver for them. You may also complete the electronic waiver upon your arrival during the check-in process.
What is the Berkshire East Tipping Policy?
Similar to other service industries, if a guest feels like he or she has received exceptional service, a tip for the guides is encouraged. A great deal of training and attention to detail has gone into the preparation and execution of each tour. All of our guides enjoy their job, and we expect that each of our guests will receive the highest level of service and care. If you feel like you have experienced an exceptional tour, it is likely due to the professional and diligent approach of your guides. If you plan to tip your guides, we ask that you please bring cash, as we are unable to process tips on a credit card. We do have an ATM onsite, and there is a $2.00 processing fee for any cash withdrawal.
Is there a Drug & Alcohol Policy?
This is very simple, NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL prior to your experience. We need you lucid! Participants will not be allowed to raft if they are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Berkshire East reserves the right to dismiss participants, and refunds will not be granted.
What forms of payment are acceptable?
We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. We do not accept personal checks. If you have a gift certificate or a voucher to use, you can enter the voucher number on the payment screen when making your online reservation.